The inventors of the cups, Frank Cotter and G. Howlett Davis, combined the last three letters of each of their last names, Cotter and Davis to come up with the name "Tervis".
It really is a funny story and I'm glad you asked. The weirder part is how I know this story, it was told to me one night in a little bar in Killdeer, ND. Good people in that town by the way.
Well the name Tervis Tumbler got it's name from the guys that invented these glasses Frank "Cotman" Cotter and G. Howlett "Spanky" Davis. Cotman was having a party at his house one night showing off the new glasses they designed. Spanky was running some major game on a girl, Lurlene Lee. While Spanky and Lurlene were on the way back to the bedroom to smush, Lurlene knocked over one of the glasses, it took a tumble. The closest person to the fallen glass was really drunk and tried to say tumble but actually said "tervis."
Cotman really liked the name Tervis Tumbler after seeing what kind of beating it could take, so the name stuck.
I know it sounds crazy but that is actually how it really happened.
Whitney and Ben both had great answers. Just when I thought that Whitney had it figured out, Ben took it away. We give the best and most informative answer award to Ben. Good work.
The inventors of the cups, Frank Cotter and G. Howlett Davis, combined the last three letters of each of their last names, Cotter and Davis to come up with the name "Tervis".
ReplyDeleteIt really is a funny story and I'm glad you asked. The weirder part is how I know this story, it was told to me one night in a little bar in Killdeer, ND. Good people in that town by the way.
ReplyDeleteWell the name Tervis Tumbler got it's name from the guys that invented these glasses Frank "Cotman" Cotter and G. Howlett "Spanky" Davis. Cotman was having a party at his house one night showing off the new glasses they designed. Spanky was running some major game on a girl, Lurlene Lee. While Spanky and Lurlene were on the way back to the bedroom to smush, Lurlene knocked over one of the glasses, it took a tumble. The closest person to the fallen glass was really drunk and tried to say tumble but actually said "tervis."
Cotman really liked the name Tervis Tumbler after seeing what kind of beating it could take, so the name stuck.
I know it sounds crazy but that is actually how it really happened.
Whitney and Ben both had great answers. Just when I thought that Whitney had it figured out, Ben took it away. We give the best and most informative answer award to Ben. Good work.
ReplyDelete